Hunter Lift Ltd. specializes in the design, engineering, and manufacture of lifting devices, primarily for all industries. We design and engineer full below-the-hook lifting systems, including automatic, hydraulic, pneumatic and motorized lifting equipment, J-hooks, spreader beams, C-hooks, and mobile lifters.Explore all Overhead Crane Attachments
Design and Manufacturing of a Backup Roll Lifter for the Steel Industry
A steel manufacturer required a lifting device to handle their backup roll assemblies safely and hands-free. The design required a single lifting device to lift the top assembly, the transfer stool, and the bottom assembly. The bottom assembly had to be removed from a pit with minimal clearance.
Hunter Lift determined that a standard backup roll lift device was suitable for lifting both the upper and lower assemblies. A secondary set of lifting feet were included to lift the transfer stool. These additional lifting feet can be pinned up and out of the way of the backup roll assemblies for the operation of the standard backup roll lift. Hunter Lift supplied the customer with drawings to modify their stool and allow for the addition of the lifting feet. The backup roll lifter was fabricated to lift up to 160,000 lbs. The unit was delivered to Indiana for installation and operation.
Backup Roll Lifter
Customer required a lift to allow hands-free changing of roll assemblies.
- Length: 20 feet
- Width: 4 feet
- Height: 4 feet
- Lifting Capacity: 160,000 lbs
- Material Used: Lift lugs (high yield strength alloy steel ASTM A514), Pins/studs (AISI 4140)
- Estimated Part Weight: 20,000 lbs
- Industry for Use: Steel
- Delivery Time: 6 - 8 weeks
- Design: Lift designed under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer
- Heat Treatment: thermal stress relieving, quench & tempering
- Testing: MAG particle testing, Ultrasonic testing of load bearing plates
- Painting: Paint safety yellow using two coat process
- Documentation: Three copies of operation, mainenance manual provided
- Manufacturing: ANSI/AWS D14.1-welding
- Design: ASME/ANSI B30.20, ASME/ANSI BTH-1, USS lift specs